Our first pastor, the Rev. Francis J. Goetz, was appointed in 1860, but did not take his position formally until 1861. He was the first of thirteen pastors who have served this community since that date over 150 years ago. It was during Fr. Goetz’s pastorate that Holy Trinity School was opened. The Brothers of Mary taught the boys and the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur taught the girls. The SNDdN community stayed with the school until the date of its closing in 1971. Fr. Goetz was pastor at Holy Trinity for a total of 38 years!
The Rev. Charles Hahne, the second pastor, arranged a face-lift for the church and rectory during his appointment. The red brick of both buildings was covered with cement stucco. Generous parishioners gave donations that included the Lourdes grotto, the Christmas crib, and the statue of Jesus in the grave. Fr. Hahne did not live to see the projects completed, dying in 1910, but they were finished by his successor, the Rev. J.Henry Schengber.
Fr. Henry Schengber also had to supervise the building of a new school after the great flood of 1913. And the cross on top of the steeple was electrically illuminated, a feature that lasted until it was struck by lightening in 1993.
In 1921,the Rev. Herman Leising took over as pastor and led Holy Trinity through the difficult times of the Depression. In 1935, in anticipation of the Diamond Jubilee of the parish, he supervised the enlargement of the sanctuary and the installation of new stained glass windows.
After Fr. Leising’s death in 1947, the Rev. Ralph Moorman was assigned as Trinity’s fifth pastor. Fr. Moorman had a new marble altar installed, the organ overhauled, and the steeple reinforced. Also, the lovely Trinity bells in the steeple were made electric, saving the custodians their long climb to ring the bells during the day.
From 1967 to 1982, four pastors served the community in these changing times: Fr. George Trimbach, Fr. James Eisenhauer, Fr. Louis Funk, and Fr. Robert Monnin. In 1972, during Fr. Funk’s pastorate, the school was again being used by Archdiocesan offices and renamed Trinity Center.
In 1982, the Rev. Michael Mahoney became the tenth pastor of Holy Trinity. He oversaw many renovations to the grounds, both interior and exterior (establishing Trinity Gardens, the green area around the Center, for example) and the parish family once again started to grow. In 1985, Trinity parishioners celebrated joyfully the 125th anniversary of the parish. During this time, Trinity was host parish to Korean, Vietnamese, and Hispanic communities, although they are now in self-sustained congregations
In 2011 Holy Trinity was blessed with the assignment of two priests to serve the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Joseph and Emmanuel, now known as Region 7 of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Dayton Deanery. Fr. Angelo Anthony, C.PP.S., Pastor and Fr. Ken Pleiman, C.PP.S. (Retired), Parochial Vicar (associate), bring a sense of deep spirituality, humor, care and concern for all parishioners.
The Rev. Sandy Macpherson followed Fr.Mahoney in leadership in 1994. Fr. Macpherson, like those who came before him,was busy with the work of meeting the spiritual as well as the material needs of the community. During his tenure, the repainting of the sanctuary walls (after a steam pipe burst), the replacement of the red carpet with a new blue-gray one, the revealing of the marble steps, and relocating a lovely “hidden” ambry to a place of honor all brightened up the church! New pews, new floors, and renovation of the front windows were big projects, but with the generosity of parishioners, they were accomplished.
In 2002,Holy Trinity entered yet another new era with our present pastor. Upon the arrival of the Rev. Rick Friebel, C.PP.S.,Trinity became a part of the community of the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. Our joint drives for evangelization and stewardship come from Fr. Friebel’s deep commitment to the mission of his community to honor the sacrifice of Jesus with our own efforts to bring about the kingdom of God.
Rev. Francis J. Goetz - 1860 to 1898
Rev. Charles Hahne - 1898 to 1921
Rev. Herman Leising - 1921 to 1947
Rev. Ralph Moorman - 1947 to 1967
Fr. George Trimbach, Fr. James Eisenhauer,
Fr. Louis Funk, and Fr. Robert Monnin - 1967 to 1982
Rev. Michael Mahoney - 1982 to 1994
Rev. Sandy Macpherson - 1994 to 2002
Rev. Rick Friebel, C.PP.S - 2002 to 2011
Fr. Angelo Anthony, C.PP.S. - 2011 to Present